We have partnered with the Youth Advocacy Coalition (YAC). YAC’s primary mission is to promote collaboration among agencies and individuals in Valley County who have an interest in the educational and support services for youth and their families.
The goals of YAC are reflected in the organization mission statement: “To promote healthy lifestyle choices while cultivating supportive relationships between youth and adults through community collaboration, education and awareness.” The goals of the coalition are to strengthen community collaboration in order to reduce and prevent substance use and abuse in the community.
Key community leaders understand that it is critical to communicate and share resources to better serve youth and families, collaborate and build coalitions with other agencies, enhance communication between agencies and care providers, and develop a network of people who care about youth.
Here are just a few of the initiatives that YAC has worked on this past year:
- Created a Teen Advisory Committee
- Teen Reality Party – Tour for parents of a typical teen party followed by discussion with law enforcement, emergency room staff, probation, counselors, etc.
- Tall Cop Says “Stop” Current Drug and Alcohol Trends – Community Meeting
- DEA discussion around RX abuse and trends – Educational workshop with doctors, pharmacists, dentists, medical personnel. Community meeting with a panel of professionals from Valley County along with DEA to discuss Valley County issues and trends that are popular in larger communities.
- We will be taking youth to the NW Alcohol Conference in July to participate in the youth track and learn leadership skills.
- Youth working on a PSA for youth messaging on Underage drinking, will be played during movie night for Middle and High School students on June 12th.
- Messaging on Disposal of RX medications.
- Provide free lock boxes for medications to Home Health, Dr. offices, elderly or individuals who have children at home and cannot afford the boxes.
- Food For Thought program that engages youth and teachers during their lunch hour to focus on relaxation, stress management, yoga, and life skills.
- Extreme Challenge where we bring together all of the middle school youth from New Meadows and Valley County to engage in a day of activities structured around life skills and substance abuse.
Below is more information regarding the Youth Advocacy Coalition and how you can get involved:
Let’s Celebrate!! You, as a member and partner of the Youth Advocacy Coalition have contributed to our community in amazing ways!! Here are just a few…
- We are promoting healthy lifestyle choices
- Cultivating supportive relationships between youth and adults through collaboration, education and awareness.
- We are strengthening community collaboration.
- We represent many sectors of our community.
- Our average attendance for YAC meetings is 15-17 members/partners.
- Teen Advisory Committee (TAC)
- YAC Leadership Team
- Provide training opportunities for YAC and community members
- YAC Program Evaluator – Dr. Royce Hutson
- Student surveys
- Logic Models, Strategic and Action Plan
- Strengthened the overall structure of YAC
- RX Work Group
- Underage Drinking Work Group
Event and Programs
- Love and Logic Parenting Classes – Cascade, Donnelly, McCall and Heartland HS
- School Assembly Speakers
- Teen Reality Party
- Monthly TAC Meetings
- TAC Events: “Just Dance” and Karaoke Night
- TAC Event: H20 Water Logged Event
- TAC – Quaker Hill Ropes Challenge and Planning Day
- Extreme Challenge – Creating the Life You Want – for 7th and 8th grade students from McCall, Cascade and New Meadows. This involved many community and YAC members, schools, special speakers and presenters from outside of the community.
- Underage Drinking PSA
- Food for Thought Life Skill presentations at MDHS, Heartland, Cascade and Meadows Valley Schools
- Sober Grad Parties – provide support to Cascade school parents and McCall Optimists through paid ads and window clings for community businesses and individuals that sponsored the event.
- Partner with Law Enforcement on the National Drug Take-Back Day
- Current Drug Trends Training with Jermaine Galloway
And that is not all!! Check out what some of our members are involved in already!!
- Judge’s Fishing Day
- Fill the Bus and Christmas gifts for community children and youth
- The Yellow Couch Teen Center Events and Programs, Drop-in Hours, Free Tutoring
- After school and summer programs for elementary children (PLCA 4Kids)
- Garden Projects
- Domestic Violence Awareness Activities
- 4H programs for youth
- County Fair
- Valley Adams Health Initiative Coalition
- Boy Scouts
- Optimist Events/Programs – Optimist Football, scholarships
- School scholarships
- Advocates for youth
- Assistance for those in need
- Helping with local food banks
And the list goes on and on…
Thank you for making a difference in your community!
If you are interested in participating with the Youth Advocacy Coalition, please contact Sylvia Ryan @ email@example.com or Belinda Provancher @ Provancher@midasgoldinc.com and we will send you some more information.